Monday, September 7, 2015

Dear Bethesda

First and foremost, congratulations on the impending release of Fallout 4. With so much potential on the horizon and all of your fans screaming in anticipation, it's great to witness the unleashing of another adventure into the Wasteland. Second, and this is the primary purpose of the letter, I would like to personally thank you for Fallout 3. It took me a while to discover what exactly it was, until my father purchased a copy for me back in grade school. I remember it as if it was yesterday: I sat in my room watching a television show, when my father enters in the room with a brand new game I never heard of before. Without hesitation, I popped the disc into my 360 console, and became wholly enthralled within the initial ten minutes of the game, featuring Ron Perlman's voiceover for the opening sequence, meeting Liam Neeson before the dear mother passes, and being rushed out into whiteness before celebrating your one-year-old self.. Then the game played out beautifully thereafter: venture out into the Wasteland by age 19, trekking amongst the D.C. ruins, fighting against sadistic raiders and crazies, committing either insidious or peaceful acts toward humanity, and motherfucking Three Dog from Galaxy News Radio. I couldn't stop myself from playing it over and over again. Now, years later, I'm beginning another adventure in the Capital Wasteland before the new installment arrives, and I thank you, Bethesda, for literally developing a game that would entice, excite, upset, anger, and motivate me all simultaneously. Fallout 3 is my most favorable game to play whenever boredom strikes hard, and I can't wait for the Fourth. Thank you for the music, for the Wasteland, for the Vaults, for hiring Liam Neeson, and for all the adventures that have passed and for those to come.
-C. Anthony Rivera

P.S. As a resident from Desolation Row, I leave you with this: we all have that favorite video game, film, album, book, etc., that bring us a new perspective on things, get us worked up to a heartfelt addiction, or might even save us. It's important that those people are aware of the accomplishments that occur within us; without them, there would be no connection between the artist/developer/producer/writer and the audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment