Friday, September 13, 2019

Firefly

The weather is ever-changing around the globe as issues and shifts in global warming continue to rise. It’s caused even the most beautiful seasons in the Windy City to feel like hell on more days than one can think of. Though the picture has little reference to the whole notion of global warming, it was a curious thought that struck me when this little buddy left me to fly away to their mate.

I can’t decipher the sex of it, but its beauty remains nonetheless revered. To those who may not know, this little beetle is a lightning bug, or more technically a firefly. A flying insect that emits a glow from its abdomen area, producing a noticeable green glow in the nighttime when the sun disappears.

As a child, these cuties would show up in great numbers, creating this summer scene where the dark sky with orange pollution and stars in few sights were combined with flying dots of green. A peaceful atmosphere disturbed only by noise back then.

This past summer, however, finding these glowing critters became a challenge: it was hard to find them in and around the city. If I did manage to find them, they were only in the single digits as opposed to the dozens I was familiar with. And I was out for a chunk of the summer instead of writing (as I should’ve been) and playing an insane amount of video games into the twilight time.

But no matter what I did, from taking lengthy walks with my headphones on to meeting up with friends, I couldn’t seem to find them as much as before.

It got to the point where I didn’t even see one at night. Maybe I’m just tripping, maybe I’m going blind or something, but locating any of these little ones has sorely declined in memory.

Recently, one just happened to be flying near me. As per usual, I can’t recall what exactly I was doing – probably on another long ass stroll around my neighborhood if anything – but I was able to flow my hand to the speed of the insect to match it, catching it, or more so allowing it so land on my finger without struggle or harm.

It stayed a bit, glowed as expected when needed, and eventually it extended its wings and went away. It wasn’t dark yet, but its presence was enough for a quick photoshoot. A firefly amongst the masses, only to appear by itself.


Firefly - https://link.kikitime.com/post/ec140e55-9db3-4b1a-8640-a1047069c1aa

No comments:

Post a Comment