Thursday, September 19, 2019

Take A Book, Give A Book

In Chicago, and perhaps elsewhere, remains a little phenomenon where denizens craft a wooden casing display and shelf and store out in front of their house, storing literature for those to take and simply give back. In regards to where and when it exactly started is unknown; one by one they would pop up around the city within residential blocks. They’re hard to spot due since there are so few of them, but when one does locate said wooden display, they’ll find themselves shifting through the load to find a treasure they weren’t expecting.

The whole idea of it is to spread literature, kindness, and sharing amongst human beings. If you are carrying a book on you and you just so happen to stop by one of these, you could trade in the one you have in exchange for a fresh read.

Each box is different in its style and presentation, but they all consist of the same task by storing in books of any genre for the public to approach, inspect, and hopefully take a book with them. It works better than a library since you won’t be charged for turning in the rented book late. There’s no rule where it states that if you take one, you don’t have to trade one in, though that seems to defeat the purpose of these.

I spot these on my daily walks I take instead of going to the gym. They’re usually about an hour to two hours long because I’m enjoying myself with my headphones cranked all the way up. I never see anyone by these wooden boxes, but I imagine I’m just missing them, minutes before my arrival or after.

I snapped a couple I’ve found in the last month or so. As aforesaid, they’re few in number, so it’s a rarity to find them, and it’s not like there’s an app or a website to look on and see where all the nearby boxes at. Maybe there is, but I believe that takes away the adventure aspect about it. They’re meant to be surprises on your journey, like finding a five-dollar bill on the floor or seeing an old friend along the road. It’s not expected, it’s not planned, and it’s not even a thought preconceived before you step out the door. It’s one of those joys in life that are hard to find but easy to embrace.

Mayhap I’ll bring a book that I’m interested in having any longer on one of my walks, with hopes of running into a box to make the trade I haven’t been able to perform.

Mayhap one day.






https://link.kikitime.com/post/e71d8a25-d3b1-400c-98e2-88c8cdbefa58

No comments:

Post a Comment