Thursday, August 13, 2015

Michael, the fast food employee's annoyance

Amid the ambience of delicious smelling wannabe meat, sweaty employees flipping tiny burgers and stuffing bags of fries into the fryer baskets, and the short lines of hungry customers sorely eager to plant their faces into the quickly cooked edibles, I witnessed the breathing fiend of annoyance as I waited for my food. After placing in my order for a dine-in, I waited patiently behind the growing lines of individuals with wallets imminent to reduce in size. I wasn't alone, though, for my mother and other relatives were with me during this time. We were staying at a hotel resort for a small vacation we had all planned. When the resort informed my mother via phone call about our room preparations being finalized, we decided to ask the employee if we could take the food to-go. Thinking that it wasn't that big of deal, he made it seem as if it was an assignment from school that would drive any mundane and causal student over the rails with lengthy trails of questions and utter boredom; this asshole gave my mother a face of disappointment and contempt, yet no words were articulated. I didn't witness this face first-hand, but I sensed that something wasn't at ease, since his colleague kept staring at me with concern and curiosity. Eventually, a relative approached me and informed me on the diminutive incident, yet he held me back, knowing that I would've caused something. I looked at the employee with wonder, wondering why in the world would he be working at a fast food restaurant rather than squandering his futile days behind a computer desk playing an online game instead of expressing faces of scorn to customers due to a simple request.
I named him Michael, because he reminds me of someone from my past.

No comments:

Post a Comment